Wednesday, March 23, 2016

On the AT in October Mountain State Forest -- with my new Samsung Galaxy S7 and the Guthook App

So I downloaded the Guthook App onto my Galaxy S7 and decided to see how it performed in the woods. Mind you, this is my first smartphone and there's a steep learning curve that I'm trying to climb, along with the hills. :-)

I started where the AT crosses County Road and headed north to the October Mountain Shelter. On the way out, I turned on the Guthook app and saw only a base topo map with a little blue dot and a small triangle that seemed to point what direction I was heading. Alas, there was no AT trail showing at all. Confused? You bet I was, not with where I was on the trail--this is almost in my backyard, so I know the trail well. However, the app wasn't giving me much help.

When I got to the shelter, I sat down and tried again. Then I clicked on the Elevation tab, and I was seeing the Approach Trail. LOL  Really, that's what is shown when you get the free demo app. 

After a bit of playing around, I finally got a screen asking if I wanted to download the offline maps. Well, or course I did. Turned on the Verizon connection and downloaded them within a minute, and, voila!, there was the trail, the shelter I was sitting in, etc. 




So finally something was going right. 

And here's are a video for your amusement--showing that it's already green in Massachusetts:



And there's plenty of food for all, too:



No comments:

Post a Comment