Monday, March 7, 2016

AT Starting Date

With the warmer than normal weather, it is looking more likely that I'll start my AT thru hike in early April, rather than the end of April.

This weekend I gave my recovering knee a real test--I partnered with a friend to do a two-day orienteering event call the CNYO Snowgaine, which consisted of two eight-hour days of searching for orienteering controls in the woods.

We had agreed that we would restrict the event to walking only, whereas in the past we had run during this event. And since there was no snow this year, we didn't need the skis, nor the snowshoes.

The first day I covered 22.3 miles in 7 hours and 40 minutes and the second day we did 24.2 miles in 7:46. And, yes, the knee was hurting a bit, but an overnight dose of an anti-inflammatory helped it recover enough so that the second day was possible.

While the knee isn't back to 100%, it is improving, so now it gets some rest and recovery and then I'll be back to more normal hikes of two to four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment