Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 137/August 16

Miles hiked: 11.2 in 4:57

Start: Wilson Creek Shelter, VA

Finish: US 220, Daleville, VA

Elevation gain: 2,293'




A rather uninteresting section heading down to Daleville. But this shelter, the Fullhardt Knob Shelter is unusual. It is on the top of a ridge, a long way from any water. But the builers installed a cistern system that captures rain water from the roof of the shelter. Then the water enters an underground, totally enclosed and locked cistern. Another 50' from the shelter is a spigot where you can fill your water bottles. Seems to work well, but you still need to filter it of course.


As I got close to town the trail changed drastically, including this high pasture with its steep climb. That large tree was only half-way up the hill.

Plan to take a day off in Daleville, change out my lightweight pack for my ZPack Arc Blast. I need a little more volume since I'm adding back my Exped sleeping pad and some extra clothing, mostly for protection from mosquitoes at the shelters.

Still have 727.5 miles to go, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming sections, including the Smokies.

Route from my Suunto.

So far, after two weeks of hiking, I've seen eight bears, many deer and a couple of water snakes.

Route from Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment