Friday, August 5, 2016

Day 123/August 2

Miles hiked: 11.4 in 4:35

Start: Swift River Gap, VA

Finish: Pinefield Hut, VA

Elevation gain: 2,677'



I was told that this is a Gypsy Moth. But what I found fascinating was how the moth seemed to soak up some water from the bench top, followed by the expulsion of some liguid from its rear end, which it then soaked up with its probiscus. Really, what is going on here--anyone know?



The Pinefield Shelter is near the only spring for miles around; this deer was heading there for a drink.


Yes, that is a momma bear about 100 yards away--before she saw me. Eventually, she got up on her hind quarters to see me better and then wandered off the trail with her cub. Little did I know, but the other cub had climbed a tree on the left, and as I passed by, it dropped down from about 15' up and scampered away. No reappearance of mom though.




Route from my Suunto.


No comments:

Post a Comment