Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Day 145/August 24

Miles hiked: 7.30 in 3:02

Start: Rice Field Shelter, VA

Finish: Cross Avenue, Pearisburg, VA

Elevation gain: 1,112'

A short hike into Pearisburg to stay at the Angels Rest Hostel where I plan to take a day off. Met up with Tuna, who started his SoBo hike on June 9th. He's from Boston and into organic farming and healthy eating, normally, but admitted he now eats nothing but sugar and fat, i.e., junk food like sticky buns and Little Debbie products. He's averaging the high twenty-miles per day now and hoping to finish in less than 100 days. He was excited to hear about my Barkley Marathons and wanted to know more about ultrarunning, which we talked about for some time. As the world turns, he hiked past Pearisburg to the Woods Hole Hostel, where he had package waiting, but, alas, the hostel was closed! So he got a shuttle to Angels Rest, where he's taking a day off also.

And already at the hostel was another hike, also from Massachusetts, Walking Tree, who highly recommends the bar below:


Personally, I've taken a strong liking to the new Clif Bar Nut Butter bars. And, since I weighed myself at Angels Rest Hostel at 132 pounds, a loss of 11 pounds since I started my hike, I'm also adding some Turkey or Chicken Jerky to the menu, too.

Route from my Suunto.

1 comment:

  1. Fred,

    Thanks for the daily updates/pics. Isn't it nice to hike on normal trail? A path through the woods with actual dirt! Your Adidas must longing for some rock scrambling. Living vicariously thorough you since school is back in session. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete