Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Day 173/September 21

Miles hiked: 15.4 in 9:18
Start: Jerry's cabin Shelter, TN
Finish: Spring Mountain Shelter, NC
Elevation gain: 3,314'




This dog followed me on the trail. She was very friendly. When I called the owner, he said that he had no time to come and pick her up today, and would I mind spending the night with the dog. He would then come by and pick her up tomorrow... So I spent the night in the shelter with this dog, who was quite hungry. She ate my turkey jerky and also had an organic Square Bar. She woke upon during the night, barked for a while, and then went back to sleep.





Dixie is a coon dog, an English Red Tick, but being trained to hunt bears. Not the life that I would wish on any dog, since many of them will be killed, or injured, during a hunt.











2 comments:

  1. She is cute, you should bring her to Lee since the owner doesn't seem to care about her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she hadn't had a tag on her with the owner's name and phone number, I might have considered it.

      Delete