Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day 31/May 1 -- finally some views!

Miles hiked: 19.18 in 8:05

Start: Byrd's Nest #4 Shelter, SNP, VA

Finish: Gravel Springs Shelter, SNP, VA

Elevation climb: 3,980'

 

 The fog finally dissipated and gave some views to the west:



Your mind can wander as you hike along in your little world, but suddenly you see something other than just a distorted tree. This just reminded me of a horse's head; although on second look it does resemble a giraffe, too:


The fog and wind can create a lot of quick condensation, so much that you think it is raining. As I was about to crest a ridgeline, I saw the clouds climbing through a gap and the spreading out over the next valley. And, sure enough, when I got there the temperature had dropped 15 degrees and I was once again wet and cold:


Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment