Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day 34/May 4 -- paying the price for doing too much yesterday

Miles hiked: 9.71 in 4:55

Start: Rod Hollow Shelter, Fisher Hill, VA

Finish: Bears Den Hostel, Bluemont, VA

Elevation gain: 3,159'


Today I got to hike what is known on the AT as the Roller Coaster, about 13 miles of steep up and downs. And coming the day after my 24-mile hike, it kicked my butt. By the last hill, my pace was below two miles per hour and it was clearly time to get off the trail, which I did at the Bears Den Hostel, another beautiful stone mansion build in 1933.

Alas, I was so tired I took only one photo today:


Well, two photos, but this one in Bears Den -- what hiker trash looks like at the end of the day:


Note the tape on his right ankle--shin splints. The green bag is full of dirty clothes about to get washed.

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment