Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Day 46/May 17

Miles hiked: 9.0 in 3:32

Start: Eagles Nest Shelter, PA

Finish: Port Clinton, PA

Elevation gain: 574'


While hard to capture in a photo,  this descent into Port Clinton was wicked steep, the worst I've had on the AT.


Port Clinton has a large rail yard and evidently a lot of coal has passed through here.

Port Clinton is a small town with a big story. The town of 300 sits in the gap where the Schuylkill River cuts through the Appalachian Mountains, and was a transportation hub throughout the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. The Schuylkill River, Schuylkill Navigation System, Pennsylvania Railroad, and the Reading Railroad all intersected in Port Clinton, making it one of the most important points of commerce for decades.

Access to the Appalachian Trail is located in the western end of the Borough along the rail yards of the Blue Mountain, Reading, and Northern Railroad. 
Today was a NERO, less than 10 miles, as I needed to resupply and wanted a shower and some real food. I stayed at the Port Clinton Hotel, somewhat notorious for its cranky owner, but she actually is like most New Englanders--it just takes a while to get to know them. She was quite helpful at the end of my stay in introducing me to a shuttle driver, who took me to a Walmart store and back to town where I resumed my hike the next day.

Route from my Suunto.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy tracking your progress. You've made some miles since we met a month ago on Sharon Mountain. Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete