Saturday, May 21, 2016

Day 50/May 21

Miles hiked: 20.1 in 7:50

Start: Leroy A. Smith Shelter, PA

Finish: Delaware Water Gap, PA

Elevation gain: 2,084'



I've driven Route 80 many times before, through the Delaware Water Gap, and never realized the AT was so close. I certainly wasn't moaning and whining about the person in front of me moving so slowly, unlike some of those drivers below.

The descent into Delaware Water Gap was interesting--a steep rocky downhill, but with a lot of stone steps to make the job a bit easier; plus, we got to hike through some Rhododendron tunnels.

My hiking companion, Newton, and I decided that we needed a break from the trail, including a hot shower and some good food. We opted for luxury this time--we stayed at the Deer Head Inn, famousfor its jazz shows, as it is the oldest continuously running jazz club in the country.
And there was a great show that evening, with a $15 cover charge, that we got to enjoy while having dinner. David Basse was the vocalist and Dave Bass was the pianist; they were joined by two other guys whose names I can can't recall.

And in the morning, the Inn offered a great breakfast, so we had that and then hit the trail rather late in the day.

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment