Saturday, July 16, 2016

Day 106/July 16

Miles hiked: 5.20 miles in 2:46

Start: Katahdin Stream Campground, ME

Finish: Mt. Katahdin, Baxter State Park, ME

Elevation gain: 4,213'



Only views came fairly low on the mountain. Clouds covered the higher elevations.


Frank Boscoe finishing the rock scrambling section.


Obligatory finish photo next to the new sign erected this year. 

Now I head home to spend at least a couple of weeks with Colette and to let my poor legs recuperate.

Route from my Suunto.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Fred! I've had the pleasure of accompanying Frantic Oreo on the first mile northbound in Virginia, and his last five miles northbound today. This weekend I also got to meet a bunch of other thru-hikers and a real taste of the AT hiker culture. Also, rock scrambling is pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank. You have been a great help in my getting started and in finishing the first part of my Flip Flop hike of the AT. And a great hiking partner as well. Can't wait to help you and Keenan when you tackle the AT, too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great work, Fred. I take it the plan now is, at some point, to start again somewhere in New York and head south...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stan.

      I resume hiking, southbound, from Swift Run Gap in the Shenandoah National Park. I will have 904 miles to get to Springer Mountain in Georgia.

      Delete
  3. Great work Fred and Frank. Now go home, rest up, and enjoy as much ice cream as you want!! Looking forward to following the saga when you return to the trail.

    Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And congrats to you for finishing your 8-year quest to section hike the AT. You went out in a blaze of glory doing 20 miles on your final day, including the climb and descent of Katahdin.

      Delete