Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 95/July 5

Miles hiked: Zero


A day of rest while I wait for a new pair of adidas Terrex X-Kings to arrive.

Ever since summitting Mt. Washington, where I injured my right leg when a strong gust almost knocked me down, I have had some serious sciatica pain, which either limits my speed, or the amount of miles that I can hike in a day.

A day ago, it was so bad that I contemplated having to abandon the hike, or postone it for quite a while. But with just over 100 miles to Katahdin, it's hard to accept stopping at this point, so I am opting to do a lot of periformis stretching in the hope that It will help. I actually found a new stretch and while painful, seems to be helping.

In the mean time, I am in beautiful, scenic Monson. At least I can eat all I want; and there is an ice cream shop/bakery nearby. There is also a decent restaurant that will be open tonight, unlike on the 4th of July, when they closed.

Or like this place:


On the other hand, I have nothing but good words for the breakfast at Shaw's Hiker Hostel this morning. Scrambled eggs, homefries and blueberry pancakes. And Poet even serves up a Pancake Cairn:




No comments:

Post a Comment