Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 61/June 1

Miles hiked: 16.64 in 6:48
Start: Route 140, Wallingford, VT
Finish: Stony Brook Shelter, VT
Elevation gain: 3,953

Bruce Shenker was awesome today--not only did he drive me to Vermont, he even suggested that I could slack pack a six-mile section that I had skipped, but he hiked in and met me for three sections.

That saved my butt, since it is so much easier to hike with a lightweight pack.


Bruce descending to the suspenion bridge near Route 103


View of Killington from just north of Route 4.


After ten miles of hiking, I suggested that since we had a car, lunch might be nice. We drove to Pittsfield, Vermont and had lunch at the general store. Quite good, too.



These fungi caught my eye due to their unusual bowl-like shape. Some guy who came along as I was taking the photo asked if I knew what they were. Of course I didn't. Then he pointed out that unlike most fungi, this variety had no gills. And, he said they were very tough--he could not rip one apart.

Route 1 from my Suunto.
Route 2.
Route 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment