Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 71/June 11

Miles Hiked: 11.8 in 6:09

Start: Galehead Hut, NH

Finish: Ethan Pond Campsite/Shelter, NH

Elevation gain: 2,311'


A rather calm day compared to yesterday, but I did see two unusual things today.

First, was a marriage proposal on the trail. As I was walking along, I noticed a woman sitting on a rock, with her back to me, and a guy on his knees who looked like he just kissed her. And then she stood up and was holding a white rose in her hand. Hmm, as I got within speaking distance, I asked, "Was that a proposal I just saw?" With a wide grin, the guy said yes, it was. After some fist bumps and congrats, I wished them a good day. The guy said, "Oh, yes, we will have a great day."  I was laughing for some time after that.

Second, as I neared Ethan Pond, I finally got to see a moose. I believe it was a female, not huge, but big enough to catch my eye. It was trotting away from as it traveled down the trail.

Once on the ridge from South Twin Mountain to Mt. Guyot, the footing and trail were much improved and I could move along. But the descent along the Zeacliff Ridge was much slower going, but had some nice views:




A little stream crossing just before Zealand Falls Hut:


I stopped at Zealand Falls Hut for their $2 bottomless bowl of soup, onion soup today, and was offered some leftover blueberry pancakes to go with the soup--how could I refuse?

The trail to Ethan Pond was really nice and flat, with only a couple of rocky sections. 

Spent the evening at the shelter and got some boiling water to make a Mountain House meal, which had been sent to me by mistake, as I don't have a stove with me anymore.
I must say a warm meal was nice, so the stove may make it's way back into my pack soon.

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment