Saturday, April 16, 2016

Day 16/April 16 -- longest mileage day on the trail so far

Miles hiked: 21.02 in 7:58

Start: W Dover Road, West Pawling, NY

End: Macedonia Road, Kent, CT

Elevation gain: 4,675'


Today's plan was to do 13.5 miles and then see how I felt; if I felt fine, I could push on to the 21-mile mark near Kent. I got to the 13.5-mile mark just before 2 p.m., felt OK, and Colette brought me a sandwich, so I was good to go on.

Before that decision point, there were a few highlights along the way. First was the crossing of the Swamp River Boardwalk:



This boardwalk was at least a quarter-mile long and spans the Swamp River, which is damned up by beavers. 

Just past the Wiley Shelter, I noticed this free-standing library:


If one were holed up in shelter for days on end, at least the library offers some help in passing the time.

The first significant climb was up Ten Mile Hill, which is just south of Bull's Bridge in Kent, Connecticut.


Tomorrow's mileage will be much lower--I've pressed my luck far enough. 

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment