Saturday, April 23, 2016

Day 20/April 20 -- hiking south from Wallingford, Vermont for a few days

Miles hike: 9.91 in 4:30

Start: Route 140 in Wallingford, VT

Finish: Big Branch Shelter, Danby, VT

Elevation gain: 1,864'


I drove to Wallingford rather late in the day, so I wasn't able to get many miles in before it was time to hit the shelter. Alas, the Big Branch Shelter is right next to the Big Branch stream, which was roaring. Normally, I'm fine with the sound of a brook, a soothing white noise while falling asleep. However, the din from Big Branch was too much--I just couldn't get to sleep save for a few minutes at a time. And it was a cold night, too, which didn't help with the stay. I was glad to get going the next morning.


The day started with a long gradual climb that would eventually lead to White Rocks. The trail was gorgeous once I got into the pine trees:




And eventually one reaches the multitude of cairns called the Rock Garden that thru hikers have erected over the years:


The Little Rock Pond shelter looked very inviting, but was too early to enjoy.


One of many artifacts that have been assembled on top of a stone wall. 

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment