Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Day 18/April 18 -- all of Connecticut is done

Miles hiked: 12.13

Start: Route 4, Cornwall Bridge, CT

End: Junction Rts 112 and 7, Falls Village, CT

Elevation gain: 3,104'


Today's hike completed the state of Connecticut and that means I'll now be heading into Vermont tomorrow. 

As usual, the start involved a good climb, on a hot day, but the good news was that there was a very nice stream that I got to follow for some time--nature's air conditioning at its best.


There was a nice mixture of deciduous and pine forests to walk through today; alas, the sun shone through in the deciduous areas but the pine areas provided some much appreciated shade as the temperature reached 80°F.

As I neared the end of the hike, there's a nice view down to Lime Rock Speedway, Paul Newman's favorite track; I almost wished that I were down there driving around the track rather than staring at it:


As I was hiking along the final ridge before dropping down to Route 7, I received an e-mail from adidas outdoor USA--they have agreed to supply me with shoes for my thru hike--the adidas Terrex X-Kings. These have been performing great since I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago. The sole is made by Continental Tire and is vulcanized to the upper; that provides a substantial toe bumper, a lot of lateral support and incredible traction on wet rocks. That's not surprising since it is the same rubber Conti uses for its mountain bike tires. :-)

I just had to celebrate the good news, so I took a photo of my kicks:


Did I also mention that the X-Kings have an aggressive outsole, so there is a lot of grip, especially on rocks, which seem abundant on the AT. The shoes were also great when I was hiking in 4-8" of snow, too; my feet never got cold. Yes, I'm delighted to have adidas on board, as you can tell.

It was a tough day with the heat, but at least I didn't feel quite as bad as this guy--found only a few feet from the end of my hike:


Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment