Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Day 19/April 19 -- into Vermont, but surprise, surprise, there's no mud

Miles hiked: 8.13 in 3:22

Start: Pattison Road, Williamstown, MA

End: County Road, Stamford, VT

Elevation gain: 2,434'


A short hike today, mainly to finish off Massachusetts. The highlight of the day was getting to the Vermont border and checking the registration book, only to see that Speedstick and Legend, who are both shooting to complete Triple Crowns this year had signed, and Handmade, the man with the handmade wooden frame for his pack, had been through also:



The rest of the hike was pretty mellow, with no big climbs, hardly any mud at all. and only the occasional erratic to keep me company:


I've noticed that regardless of what distance I hike each day, by the end of the each day's hike I'm always dead tired. Is that mental or what? One might expect to be pretty tired after 21 miles, but after 8? I dunno, but I suspect it may be a trick that my mind plays.

On the other hand, as I was cruising along on an easy section today, with the sun on my back, I couldn't help but feel that I'm just a little kid playing out in the woods, without a care in the world, happy to see any unusual rock, plants, streams, animals, that come my way. I felt more sorry for everyone who wasn't in the woods than happy for myself, however.

Route from my Suunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment