Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Day 6/April 6 -- what I missed yesterday, I got today

Miles hiked: 7.35 miles

Starting location: Jerusalem Road, Tyringham, MA

Ending location: Goose Pond Road, Tyringham, MA

Elevation gain: 2,014'


I was pretty sore and tired after yesterday's hike, so I chose to keep it short today, hoping that the body will like a little less stress. I actually felt pretty good while hiking, much to my surprise.

The only notable climb today was from Main Road in Tyringham up to Baldy Mountain. When I crossed Main Road, I noticed that the large boot prints that I had been following were gone and now there was just one set of prints--someone hiking in a running shoe of some sort.

Of course, with nothing else to focus on, I immediately started trying to match the stride of that hiker, which was close to mine, but just different enough to force me to hike my own hike. :-) Still, my competitive instincts kicked in and I was soon trying to outdistance the stride of my invisible hiking companion. And then it dawned on me--the only person this could be was Iceberg, whom I met yesterday while I was hiking south through Beartown.

And yesterday, I failed to get his real name and contact info, not to mention that I didn't even take a photo. If I was right, maybe I could catch up to Iceberg? So I pressed a bit even though I couldn't tell if the tracks were new or old. 

Well, about a mile from where I planned to stop, who did I see, sitting in the snow, taking a break? Yup, Iceberg:


He was fine with having his picture taken and after chatting for a while, he agreed to hike out with me to my car. Well, maybe I was in a virtual race with him before, trying to match his strides, but now I was racing--racing to keep up with him! LOL

Finally, I asked him if he always hiked that fast and he said on good trails he likes to walk along at three miles per hour, but he takes a lot of breaks, so that he averages closer to 2 to 2.5 miles per hour. He graciously offered to slow down, but I was getting used to the pace, so on we went.

Iceberg, whose real name if Rahil Patel, is a student at Columbia University and is taking a year off to hike the trail. He's majoring in statistics and hopes to eventually get a job with a software company, or perhaps with an investment bank. I offered my unsolicited advice, of course. 

Before we got to my car, I suggested that I'd be glad to bring him some lunch at the crossing on Route 20. That was over four miles away, so that would give me time to go home, eat, get him his food and drive it out. He asked for something warm. LOL 

Turns out that he doesn't carry a stove, all his food is dry, mainly a lot of energy bars, so I'm sure that a warm meal was a welcome change. I brought him spaghetti and meat balls, along with a salad and a cup of hot coffee. He showed up within 5-7 minutes after I arrived at the At on Route 20. Yeah, he said he hustled--nothing like something warm waiting for you at the end. 

I really enjoy talking with the thru hikers that have been on the trail for a while--they are a fountain of great ideas. Thanks for sharing, Rahil.

Route from my Suunto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment